The new FORTRESS power supply series from Rosewill has 450 W, 550 W, 650 W, and 750 W versions, all with the 80 Plus Platinum certification. Let’s see if the 650 W model is a good product.
The Rosewill FORTRESS-650 is 6.5” (165 mm) deep, using a 135 mm ball bearing fan on its bottom (Rosewill RL4ZB1352512M, which is actually manufactured by Globe Fan).
The reviewed power supply doesn’t have a modular cabling system. All cables are protected with nylon sleeves that come from inside the unit. This power supply comes with the following cables:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 21.3” (54 cm) long
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 25.2” (64 cm) long
- Two cables, each with two six/eight-pin connectors for video cards, 23.6” (60 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
- Two cables, each with four SATA power connectors, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
- One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
- One cable with two standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
The main motherboard cable, the EPS12V/ATX12V cable, and the video card cables use thicker 16 AWG wires, while the peripheral and SATA power cables use 18 AWG wires, which is the minimum recommended gauge.
The cable configuration is excellent for a 650 W model, with eight SATA power connectors and four video card power connectors, allowing you to install two high-end video cards out of the box.
Let’s now take an in-depth look inside this power supply.