Recently, Corsair added four new models to its AX power supply series: AX760, AX860, AX760i, and AX860i. The “i” models use a digital signal processor (DSP) and are the most unique PC power supplies ever released. We’ve already reviewed the AX760i, which proved to be the best power supply we’ve ever reviewed. Now it is time for us to take a look at the version of this power supply that doesn’t use a digital signal processor. Let’s check it out.
As you may assume, the Corsair AX760 uses a completely different internal design from the AX760i. It is manufactured by Seasonic, based on its new KM3 platform.
The Corsair AX760 is 6.3” (160 mm) deep. It uses a 120 mm ball-bearing fan on its bottom (Sanyo Denki San Ace 120 9S1212F404). This fan is different from the one used on the Corsair AX760i. The power supply has a “hybrid/normal” switch that allows you to configure the fan to turn on only when the power supply load reaches 70% of the unit’s labeled wattage (i.e., 532 W), so the power supply won’t make any noise when the computer doesn’t demand a lot of power.
The modular cabling system from this power supply has 13 connectors: two for the main motherboard power connector, six for video card and ATX12V/EPS12V connectors, and five for peripheral and SATA connectors. This power supply comes with the following cables:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 23.6” (60 cm) long
- Two cables, each with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 24.8” (63 cm) long
- Two cables, each with two six/eight-pin connectors for video cards, 23.6” (60 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
- Two cables, each with one six/eight-pin connector for video cards, 23.6” (60 cm) long
- Two cables, each with four SATA power connectors, 15.7” (40 cm) to the first connector, 3.9” (10 cm) between connectors
- One cable with four SATA power connectors, 21.3” (54 cm) to the first connector, 3.9” (10 cm) between connectors
- Two cables, each with four peripheral power connectors, 17.7” (45 cm) to the first connector, 3.9” (10 cm) between connectors
- Two adapters to convert a standard peripheral power connector into a floppy disk drive power connector
This is the same configuration available on the AX760i model.
All wires are 18 AWG, which is the minimum recommended gauge.
The number of connectors is outstanding for a 760 W power supply, allowing you to install up to three high-end video cards that require two auxiliary power connectors each. The number of SATA power connectors (12) is also impressive.
Let’s now take an in-depth look inside this power supply.