After buying PC Power & Cooling, OCZ decided to keep selling power supplies without modular cabling system and with a single +12 V rail under that brand, and sell under their own brand only products with modular cabling system. Fatal1ty 750 W is, therefore, a unit with this feature.
Because of this new direction, OCZ discontinued their Fatal1ty 700 W unit, which didn’t have a modular cabling system and had a single +12 V rail. Even thought they share the same name both units are completely different internally.
The Fatal1ty 750 W is manufactured by Highpower.
OCZ Fatal1ty 750 W is 6 19/64” (160 mm) deep, using a 135 mm fan on its bottom and featuring active PFC, of course.
The reviewed power supply has a modular cabling system with eight connectors (four red ones for video cards and four black ones for SATA/peripheral cables) and it comes with three cables permanently attached to the unit. The cables included are the following:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 16 ½” (42 cm) long (permanently attached to the power supply).
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 17 ¾” (45 cm) long (permanently attached to the power supply).
- One cable with one EPS12V connector, 17 ¾” (45 cm) long (permanently attached to the power supply).
- Four cables with one six/eight-pin auxiliary power connector for video cards each, 17 ¾” (45 cm) long (modular cabling system).
- Two cables with three SATA power connectors each, 17 ¾” (45 cm) to the first connector, 5 7/8” (15 cm) between connectors (modular cabling system).
- Two cables with three standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector each, 17 ¾” (45 cm) to the first connector, 5 7/8” (15 cm) between connectors (modular cabling system).
All wires are 18 AWG, except the +12 V (yellow) and +3.3 V (orange) wires on the main motherboard cable and the ATX12V/EPS12V connector, which are 16 AWG, i.e., thicker, which is very nice to see.
The number of cables for video cards – four – is perfect for a 750 W product, plus each connector is installed on an individual cable. All cables used on the modular cabling system are flat, which is a plus. The cables, however, are a little bit short for a product on this power range, we’d like this unit better if it had wires at least 20” (51 cm) long. Six SATA connectors seem enough but honestly it would be better if this unit had one extra SATA connector on each cable for a total of eight SATA connectors.
Now let’s take an in-depth look inside this power supply.