The LEPA already had a power supply series called “G,” with 500 W, 700 W, and 900 W models. We reviewed the 500 W and 700 W models, and they deserved our recommendation. Now LEPA is releasing 650 W, 750 W, and 850 W models within its “G” series, but those models are manufactured by a different company. Let’s see how the new 850 W model fared in our tests.
The new 650 W, 750 W, and 850 W models are manufactured by CWT, while the 500 W, 700 W, and 900 W models are manufactured by Enermax. The LEPA G850-MAS is a rebranded CWT PUQ(G)-850 (a.k.a. PUQ750V-G) power supply.
The LEPA G850-MAS is 6.3” (160 mm) deep, using a 140 mm ball-bearing fan on its bottom (Yate Loon D14BH-12).
The reviewed power supply has a modular cabling system with six connectors: two for video cards and four for SATA or peripheral power connectors. The main motherboard cable and the ATX12V/EPS12V cables are permanently attached to the power supply. These cables are protected with nylon sleeves, which come from inside the unit. This power supply comes with the following cables:
- Main motherboard cable with a 24-pin connector, 22.4” (57 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 23.6” (60 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- One cable with one EPS12V connector, 23.6” (60 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- Two cables, each with two six/eight-pin connectors for video cards, 18.1” (46 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
- Three cables, each with four SATA power connectors, 18.1” (46 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
- One cable with four standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 18.1” (46 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
All wires are 18 AWG, which is the minimum recommended gauge, except the main motherboard cable, which uses thicker 16 AWG wires. The number of connectors is adequate for an 850 W power supply, however, we’d prefer that this power supply would come with six video card power connectors, which would allow for out-of-the-box support for three high-end video cards.
Let’s now take an in-depth look inside this power supply.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. A Look Inside the LEPA G850-MAS
- 3. Transient Filtering Stage
- 4. Primary Analysis
- 5. Secondary Analysis
- 6. Power Distribution
- 7. Load Tests
- 8. Ripple and Noise Tests
- 9. Overload Tests
- 10. Main Specifications
- 11. Conclusions