How We Tested
The test bench consisted in two identical systems featuring the components listed below. The only variable component was the CPU being evaluated (Core 2 Extreme X6800 or Core 2 Extreme QX6700).
- Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2 Rev. 303 (BX97520J.86A.1446.2006.0913.1039 BIOS).
- Memory: Two Corsair PC8500 CM2X1024-8500 modules with 1 GB each, installed under DDR2 dual channel configuration (5-5-5-15 timings).
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (320 GB, 7,200 rpm, SATA-300)
- Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7950 GX2.
- Windows XP Professional installed using NTFS
- Service Pack 2
- DirectX 9.0c
- NVIDIA video driver version : 91.47
- Intel Inf driver version: 188.8.131.527
- All motherboard drivers
- Divx 6.2.5 with XMPEG 5.03
- Sony Vegas 7.0a Build 115
- POV-Ray Beta 15
- 3ds Max 8 SP2
- PCMark05 Professional 1.1.0
- 3DMark06 Professional 1.0.2
We adopted a 3% error margin; thus, differences below 3% cannot be considered relevant. In other words, products with a performance difference below 3% should be considered as having similar performance.