|How to Stop Cold Calls and Credit Card Offers|
|Author: Gabriel Torres||Date: March 20, 2009 - 11:06 AM PST|
O.k. I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with PC hardware, but since I HATE cold calls and junk mail, especially credit card offers, and spent some time researching how to stop them, I thought that it would be worthwhile sharing my knowledge, so other people on the same situation could stop being bothered.
See how much credit card offers I used to get on a typical month!
click to enlarge
Just go to http://www.donotcall.gov and add both your land line and cell phone to this government-sponsored database. If after 30 days people still call you, you can file a complaint on the same website.
It worked wonders for me. Now the only calls I get that are not for me are from people looking for other people that had the same phone number before me.
Credit Card Offers
Simply call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) and you will get rid of all “pre-screened” credit card offers. It takes a while (up to 90 days) to stop getting all these “pre-screened” credit card offers. So the sooner you call this number, the better.
The problem is that this number only works for offers that are sent by banks and credit card companies that you don’t have any kind of relationship with. For companies that you are already a customer – especially airlines – calling this number won’t stop you from receiving their offers. You will need to call each company individually and ask them to stop sending credit card offers.
Since all offers that I was still getting after calling the above number were presented by the airlines that I have mileage programs with, I had to call them one by one. Below I give you a summary of what I had to do.
Credit Card Offers – Airlines
Below is a summary what I had to do to stop receiving credit card offers from airline companies. After taking action, it can take up to 90 days for you to stop getting junk mail from them. Have your mileage program number ready (if you are married and/or have more people on your house that get the same kind of offer, have their numbers ready as well; you can stop these offers to all people on your house with just one call) and call:
- American Airlines: 1-800-882-8880, enter your AAdvantage number and then say “agent” and after a human being picks up the phone, say that you want to stop receiving credit card offers.
- Continental: This is the easiest one, all you need to do is to log in to your OnePass account at http://www.continental.com, click to see your account summary and click on the links “Privacy” below your address and your phone number and mark that you don’t want to get offers. Notice that you need to do this two times, one for your phone number and another for your address.
- Delta: Call 1-800-323-2323, enter your Skymiles number and say “representative”. Then ask to stop receiving credit card offers.
- Southwest: Call 1-800-435-9792. Say “agent” then ask to stop receiving credit card offers.
- United: Call 1-800-421-4655 and after entering your Mileage Plus number, say “more options”, then “none of the above” and then “speak to an agent”. After someone picks up the phone ask to stop receiving credit card offers.
November 26, 2014 - 3:10 AM
November 25, 2014 - 3:00 AM
November 5, 2014 - 3:00 AM
November 4, 2014 - 3:00 AM
October 30, 2014 - 8:30 AM
October 29, 2014 - 3:00 AM
October 22, 2014 - 4:55 PM
October 15, 2014 - 7:00 PM
October 15, 2014 - 4:30 AM
October 14, 2014 - 4:10 AM
Our Most Popular Articles