|Power Supplies With Fake 80 Plus Badges|
Here is a list of power supplies that were carrying false 80 Plus claims in the past. After this article was first published, the manufacturer fixed the problem:
- Aerocool E85M-550: The product page, box and label carried an unauthorized 80 Plus Bronze badge when we first exposed this unit, but Aerocool contacted Ecos Consulting and got this unit certified (and it, in fact, got the 80 Plus Bronze certification).
- Aerocool V12XT-600: The product page, box and label carried an unauthorized 80 Plus Bronze badge when we first exposed this unit, but Aerocool contacted Ecos Consulting and got this unit certified (and it, in fact, got the 80 Plus Bronze certification).
- Spire Jewel Black 650 W and 750 W: Spire added the phrase, “80 PLUS Bronze compliant,” on their website, a very smooth way to deceive users, since the manufacturer is not saying that the power supply “has” certification but that the power supply is “compliant.” The joke is that we tested this 650 W power supply and it could only deliver up to 550 W. Spire removed the offending phrase after they read this article. These power supplies are rebranded Seventeam ST-550P-AF and ST-650P-AF units, respectively, so they carry a fake wattage.
- Spire BlackMoon 750 W, Spire BlackMoon XP 600 W, and Spire BlackMoon XP 700 W: The Spire website says “80 Plus Bronze efficiency.” If that is true or not we can’t tell and it is irrelevant. One cannot say that a power supply has “80 Plus efficiency” without getting the respective certification. Spire removed the offending phrase and logo after they read this article. These power supplies are rebranded Seventeam ST-650WP-WL, ST-550Z-AF, and ST-650Z-AF, respectively. Once again, they carry fake wattages.
- Spire RockIT II: This one carried a fake 80 Plus Bronze badge and the phrase, “80 PLUS Bronze Certified,” on its product page. Spire has removed this phrase and badge after reading this article. To this date, Spire doesn't have a single power supply with 80 Plus certification.
| « Previous | Page 3 of 3 |
|Print Version | Send to Friend |
| Comments (19)
October 1, 2013 - 7:23 AM PST
September 30, 2013 - 7:23 AM PST
September 30, 2013 - 7:22 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:33 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:32 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:30 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:30 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:21 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:15 AM PST
September 25, 2013 - 5:27 AM PST
Our Most Popular Articles
Latest Threads in Our Forums
by Cveti Cvetkov
by Hardware Secrets Team
by tomahawk 1705