|Hardware Secrets Power Supply Test Methodology|
We were one of the first hardware review websites to alert users that the vast majority of power supply reviews posted around the web and even on so-called “specialized” magazines were completely wrong. If you want to understand why, please read our article Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews are Wrong. This is recommended reading to understand why we are adopting the methodology described in the present article.
Our power supply reviews cover the following:
- Completely disassembling the power supply for an in-depth analysis from its internal architecture;
- Load tests to see if the power supply is able to deliver its rated power and if it can deliver even more power than labeled;
- Protection tests to see if protections like over current, over power and short-circuit are working correctly;
- Electrical noise tests to see how clean is each power supply voltage output;
- Efficiency tests to see how much power is wasted by the power supply;
- Stability tests to see if there is any voltage fluctuation on the power supply;
- Power factor readings to test the efficiency of the PFC (Power Factor Correction) circuit (valid for tests published after 06/23/2009 only);
- Temperature readings.
We will explain in details each one of these tests, the methodology we are going to use with each one of them, our criteria to label a power supply as “good” or “bad” and the equipment we are going to use.
The idea of this article is to be a reference for all our power supply reviews, so we won’t need to explain our methodology all over again in each review.
| Page 1 of 8 | Next » |
|Print Version | Send to Friend | Bookmark Article
| Comments (80)
October 1, 2013 - 7:23 AM PST
September 30, 2013 - 7:23 AM PST
September 30, 2013 - 7:22 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:33 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:32 AM PST
September 27, 2013 - 5:30 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:30 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:21 AM PST
September 26, 2013 - 6:15 AM PST
September 25, 2013 - 5:27 AM PST
Our Most Popular Articles
Latest Threads in Our Forums
by Rafael Coelho
by Gabriel Torres
by Hardware Secrets Team
by Gabriel Torres