The new High Current Gamer M is a version of Antec’s High Current Gamer power supply series with a modular cabling system. So far, only three models are available: 400 W, 520 W, and 620 W. The original High Current Gamer series also has a 750 W and a 900 W model. All models have the 80 Plus Bronze certification and single +12 V rail design. Let’s take an in-depth look at the 620 W model from this new series, also known as HCG-620M.
The three models from the “M” series are manufactured by Seasonic. On the original series, the models from 400 W to 620 W are also manufactured by Seasonic, but the 750 W and 900 W models are manufactured by Delta.
The High Current Gamer M 620 W is 6.3” (160 mm) deep, using a 135 mm dual ball bearing fan on its bottom (ADDA ADN512MB-A90).
This unit has a modular cabling system with six connectors, four for video cards (red) and two for SATA and peripheral power connectors (black). The motherboard cables come permanently attached to the power supply, and they are protected with nylon sleeves that come from inside the unit. This power supply comes with the following cables:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 21.3” (54 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 25.2” (64 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- Two cables, each with one six/eight-pin connector for video cards, 21.6” (55 cm) long, modular cabling system
- Two cables, each with three SATA power connectors, 21.6” (55 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
- One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors, 21.6” (55 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
- One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 21.6” (55 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
All wires are 18 AWG, which is the minimum recommended gauge.
The cable configuration is adequate for a 620 W power supply.
Let’s now take an in-depth look inside this power supply.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. A Look Inside the High Current Gamer M 620 W
- 3. Transient Filtering Stage
- 4. Primary Analysis
- 5. Secondary Analysis
- 6. Power Distribution
- 7. Load Tests
- 8. Ripple and Noise Tests
- 9. Overload Tests
- 10. Main Specifications
- 11. Conclusions