The Amacrox Free Earth 88PLUS 600 W (AX600-88FE) is an 80 Plus Silver-certified unit, with the manufacturer promising 88% efficiency at typical load (i.e., 300 W). Let’s see if this unit is a good product.
Like other models from Amacrox, the reviewed product is manufactured by FSP.
The Amacrox Free Earth 88PLUS 600 W is only 5.5” (140 mm) deep, using a two-ball-bearing 120 mm fan on its bottom (Power Logic PLA12025B12M-2EP). Amacrox says this power supply uses a fluid dynamic bearing fan, but this information doesn’t match the sample we received.
This unit features active PFC, of course.
No modular cabling system is provided, and all cables have nylon sleevings that come from inside the power supply housing. The cables included are the following:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 19.7” (50 cm) long
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 19.7” (50 cm) long
- One cable with one ATX12V connector, 18.9" (48 cm) long
- Two cables with one six-pin and one six/eight-pin connector for video cards, each 20.5” (52 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors
- Two cables with three SATA power connectors, each 20.5” (52 cm) to the first connector, 4.7” (12 cm) between connectors
- One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors, 20.5” (52 cm) to the first connector, 4” (10 cm) between connectors
- One cable with two standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 20.5” (52 cm) to the first connector, 4” (10 cm) between connectors
All wires are 18 AWG, which is the correct gauge to be used.
The cable configuration is perfect, and in fact, we rarely see 600 W power supplies with four video card auxiliary power connectors. Of course we prefer to see these connectors installed on separated cables. The additional ATX12V connector is clearly overkill.
Now let’s take an in-depth look inside this power supply.