The AK6 is the latest power supply series from 3R System, offered in two wattages, 500 W and 600 W, with (models ended with “M”) or without a modular cabling system. They come with the 80 Plus Bronze certification. We’ve already reviewed the 500 W model, which deserved our recommendation. Let’s now test the 600 W model with a modular cabling system, which the manufacturer promises a peak wattage of 700 W.
The 3R System AK6-600M is 6.3” (160 mm) deep, using a 120 mm sleeve bearing fan on its bottom (Yate Loon D12SM-12).
The modular cabling system from this power supply has six connectors. The product comes with only four cables to be installed on them, so two connectors are left unused. Differently from most modular cabling systems, the connectors can be used by any kind of cable; the unit doesn’t have special connectors for the video card power cables. The motherboard cables are permanently attached to the unit, and they have nylon sleeves, which come from inside the unit. This power supply comes with the following cables:
- Main motherboard cable with a 20/24-pin connector, 19.7” (50 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- One cable with two ATX12V connectors that together form an EPS12V connector, 23.6” (60 cm) long, permanently attached to the power supply
- Two cables, each with one six/eight-pin connector for video cards, 17.7” (45 cm) long, modular cabling system
- One cable with three SATA power connectors, 17.7” (45 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
- One cable with three standard peripheral power connectors and one floppy disk drive power connector, 19.7” (50 cm) to the first connector, 5.9” (15 cm) between connectors, modular cabling system
All wires are 18 AWG, which is the minimum recommended gauge.
The cable configuration is identical to the one used by the 500 W model. We think this unit should have come with at least one other cable with three SATA power connectors, as the number of SATA power connectors is low for a 600 W unit.
Let’s now take an in-depth look inside this power supply.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. A Look Inside the 3R System AK6-600M
- 3. Transient Filtering Stage
- 4. Primary Analysis
- 5. Secondary Analysis
- 6. Power Distribution
- 7. Load Tests
- 8. Ripple and Noise Tests
- 9. Overload Tests
- 10. Main Specifications
- 11. Conclusions